Re: Race seat installation

To: MG LIST <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Race seat installation
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 01:04:46 +0930
On 10/05/2006, at 1:14 AM, Paul Hunt wrote:
> If competition regulations require a reinforcing plate *under* the
> floorpan then that isn't a problem at the rear, however the
> standard front
> points are concealed in the cross-member.  You could weld a
> reinforcing
> plate on top if that is acceptable, or use long bolts right through
> the
> cross-member.  However then you should really use spacer tubes to
> avoid
> crushing either floor or cross-member, which would mean opening up the
> cross-member, inserting the spacers, and closing it up again,
> possibly with
> another re-reinforcing plate.

Thanks Paul,

I think I will need to hunt down the people who have installed these
Sparco Sprint seats in these cars before.  I hate trying to reinvent
the wheel and they probably found some elegant way around this issue.

Now, I am off this week to pick up my new tyres.  Gee, it is like
Christmas (and my accountant is shaking his head).

I am finally changing tyre brands so I hope I make the right choice.
I have been a Bridgestone Potenza fan for years now (the RE540S or
RE080) but I am going to try a tyre that I have seen the majority of
tarmac rally drivers using here in Australia, the ADVAN (Yokohama)
AO48.  Surprisingly they are cheaper - a pleasant surprise and I am
glad I am not buying them on price alone, rather I have seen them
used and relied upon under really trying conditions.

I am going to be hanging out to take this little car back out onto
the track again - but in the meantime, she is going to be cool to
take for a cruise through the hills (with my street tyres on).

It is great to have the car back together again - I missed her.

Oh dear - now to get pockets put in the tonneau for the high back seats!

Eric
'68MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia