Re:

To: "James Schulte" <schultejim@msn.com>, <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 15:24:27 +0100
I've had similar on a V8 over a long period of time, although that was with
tubulars and not cast iron.  Thicker, compressible gaskets should certainly
seal better than thin, non-compressible, and I have seen several different
types (materials and thicknesses) for the V8.  Green and black composition
are the worst, they blew out in about 100 miles.  A thick sandwich of some
asbestos-like material between two very thin perforated sheets of stainless
steel are best.  I took my manifolds to a machine shop that had a bench belt
sander, but I think it was probably taking too long and so they gave up
before they were fully flat.  I would have thought that anyone who could
skim a head or block should be able to do manifolds, if they can mount them.
In theory an exhaust leak could eventually wear grooves in the two mating
faces, but that doesn't seem to have happened to mine

PaulH.