Head is off/car sho in Truro

To: Batans List <members@batans.ca>
Subject: Head is off/car sho in Truro
From: Malcolm Jeffcock <msjeffcock@eastlink.ca>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 21:35:50 -0300
Listers:
            Now that I have finished the kitchen cabinets I have finally been
able to get to my B. You may recall me indicating that I had about 25 lbs
compression in #1 and #2 and compressed air into #1 blew out #2. Also I was
getting steam into the rocker cover and out the oil filler unless I took off
the spark plug lead on #4. All distressing.

            Well here's the evidence revealed by head removal: the gasket was
gone between #1 and 2, about a 3/4 inch gap in the gasket: explains the flow of
air between them and of course the loss of compression. #4 had quite a bit of
gasket gone on the manifold side reaching all the way to the rod hole and also
over to a couple of the pass through holes in the block/head--I don't know
which of the holes are for coolant or oil flow but do know that towards one
there was some "crud" that I take to be scorched oil...

                Off to the machine shop with the head for testing, hopefully I
just had a "defective" gasket...

                I'll be over at the car show this weekend but since I sold the
Mini and the B is in sick bay I'll have to take the trusty Golf diesel (that
just passed 500,000km this week!!)

                                        Malcolm