Re: GT Woes

To: mg_garage@comcast.net
Subject: Re: GT Woes
From: Paul Root <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 07:20:06 -0500
On Jun 21, 2006, at 4:02 AM, mg_garage@comcast.net wrote:

> From: "RD Williford" <dan_mgs@verizonmail.com>
>> Lost the muffler on I-64 this evening. Then got home to find that
>> my Moss order
>> was received, but the carb needle (AAU) is out-of-stock....
>>
>> Would like to replace rear carb needle with this (AAU for PO-
>> replacement
>> HIF4/AUD493 carbs), as it matches the (new) front needle. Moss had it
>> backordered many moons ago when I did the rebuild (sent only one),
>> so I tuned
>> the carbs with two different needles (I know, not smart...). But 9
>> months later
>> and still backordered seems odd... front carb (new needle) is
>> burning clean with
>> rear (old needle) running slightly rich, which makes sendse to me
>> due to airflow
>> and carb positioning.
>>
>> Car runs great (with the exception of lumpy idle), and is a
>> rolling restoration
>> pushed along by recent total-loss of my daily driver (subaru) to
>> an unfortunate
>> hydroplaning incident (no, AWD and ABS do not help when skating in
>> a car on a
>> big puddle).
>>
>> 120 miles round trip for the last two days and no unfortunate
>> happenings except
>> for the muffler... And excessive RPMs at interstate speeds (really
>> need 5 sp.
>> conversion <thanks BobH> or overdrive).
>>
>> Any recommendations on exhaust systems? I'm thinking of taking to
>> a muffler shop
>> to have them weld on straight pipe + new muffler (rather than dual
>> muffler setup
>> as original). Like the price of the Monza system, but not sure I
>> can order and
>> have a local shop install (I'm game for doing most any car-related
>> repair/maintenance work, but detest exhaust!).
>>
>> Any listers in SW Indiana know of a good (and reasonable) exhaust
>> shop that
>> wouldn't turn away a B?
>>
>> Thanks-
>> Dan
>> 71 BGT
>
> Not sure where you are in SW Indiana, but if you've never met
> Tucker Madawick (http://www.autosportinc.com) ou should givehim a
> call.  I don't think he is attending MG2006 so he maybe available.

The web site has them closed for all of June moving to a new
location. Seems a strange time
to move and close, for a seasonal vehicle.

As to the carb needle. Try Joe Curto, somewhere on the East Coast.
Hmm, let's dig up the
URL...
http://www.joecurtoinc.com/

Ah, that's new. I need to update my pages. And add tucker.

I had a Monza on my old B. It was pretty loud. Of course, I was in
college and I
liked that. I think I'd do something else now.

Paul Root
ptroot@iaces.com