Early B and MGA OIl Filters

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Early B and MGA OIl Filters
From: "Frank Krajewski" <frankk@intap.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 17:36:27 -0400
Help! I spent the better part of two hours attempting to replace the gasket
that goes between the canister and the filter head in my 1964 MGB. It is a 2
piece filter. The rubber gasket (ring shaped but not an O ring) came with the
the Crossland filter and there is no way the new gasket fits in the groove. I
even checked another new filter I have and that gasket is the same size. I
destroyed the old gasket when I removed it. The reason I wanted to change the
gasket is due to the huge oil leak right after my oil change. Is there a
special tool or old mechanic's trick for getting that gasket to fit in the
groove?  In desperation I have ordered a spin on filter adaptor that is
available for the early B but I did want to keep everything original.
Frank "swamp Yankee" Krajewski