grounds

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: grounds
From: don <don@napanet.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 11:08:26 -0700
I just installed a rebuilt starter in my old '62 MGA.  Prior to this I had
installed two new batteries which didn't revive the car.  (They did need
replacement from age.)  Well, the new starter cranked better than the old
one, but not enough to spin the engine to start it.  I was ready to go have
a beer and worry about it next weekend.  I inadvertently touched the heater
cable that goes to the heater valve on the head and it was hot to the
touch.  Remembering all the books I've read on car stuff, I remembered that
this was indicative of a bad engine ground.  The heater cable was acting as
the ground cable from engine to car body.  Looking a bit further, I noticed
that the ground cable from the block was incorrectly installed so that it
wasn't providing a good ground for the engine.  Anyway, just a little
reminder to check for simple things first.  Like I didn't do.   I've owned
the car for three years and that's the way it was when I bought it, but
over time the amount of conductivity must have declined and the engine had
now lost ground almost completely.
Don Scott
1962 MGA Mk II
1991 Miata BRG