Re: yellow powder on a green MGB

To: "Bob Howard" <mgbob@juno.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: yellow powder on a green MGB
From: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 17:58:55 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Howard" <mgbob@juno.com>

<SNIP>

   The owner just bought the car a week ago. It has been unused for four
or five years. He has a Haynes and a Moss catalogue, but no toolkit and
no previous MG experience. I suggested he get a red-cover Bentley manual
immediately, and start attempting to discover the extent of the wiring
mess.
   Is the entire harness likely to be destined for copper recycling now?

   What can we compile as a page of advice for the poor fellow?
Bob
Guilford CT

==============================

Bob, when I got my 79 MGB a couple years ago, it had some wiring "issues"
including burnt wires.  One of the first things I did was order new
harnesses.  The way I see it, this is a 25 year old car with Lucas wiring
that had a meltdown.  God only knows how many wires may have been affected
and how many more problems are unexposed under the wrap and just waiting to
burn again.

IMHO, I wouldn't mess with the old stuff.  If he can afford it, have him
replace with all new, unburnt, no-demons-hiding wires.

I must admit that the idea of rewiring a car was rather ominous to me, as I
had never done it before, but it turned out to be real simple.  I clipped
each old wire a couple inches back from it's end leaving a simple
color-coded layout for the new wires to hook up again.

Larry Daniels

79 MGB LE
72 Midget
60 Bugeye
67 Austin A60 Pickup

"You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it
doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it
shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape."