Re: Front Wheel Bearings Question

To: bjshov8@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Front Wheel Bearings Question
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 10:53:58 -0400
  Quite the coincidence--last night I was reading about grease in
Machinery's Handbook #26.
  Here's some of the text about packing bearings:  (more or less quoted
from the book)
"  Before renewing the grease in a hand-packed baring, the bearing
assembly should be removed and washed in clean kerosene, degreasing fluid
or other solvent. As soon as the bearing is quite clean it should be
washed at once in clean light mineral oil, preferably rust inhibited. The
bearing should not be spun before or while it is being oiled.  When
replacing the grease, it should be forced with the fingers between the
balls or rollers, dismantling the bearing if convenient ( not applicable
to MGB bearings). The available space inside the bearing should be filled
completely and the bearing then spun by hand. Any grease thrown out
should be wiped off. The spaced on each side of the bearing in the
housing should not be more than half-filled. Too much grease will result
in considerable churning, high bearing temperatures and the possibility
of early failure.  Unlike any other kind of bearing, anti-friction
bearings more often give trouble due to over rather than to
under-lubrication."
  What is a rust-inhibited oil?
  I knew about not over-packing because of the churning and heating, but
later in the chapter the book explains what increased temperature does to
the grease. Grease breaks down fast at excess temps.
Bob

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 22:02:54 -0500 "bjshov8" <bjshov8@comcast.net>
writes:
> If you have roller bearings, the spaces between the rollers need to
> be  filled with grease.  You force the grease in from one side, until
it
> comes out the other side.  (This was even demonstrated recently on the
TV