Re: Odometer and charcoal canister

To: "Steve Johnson" <sjohnson@umext.maine.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Odometer and charcoal canister
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:36:05 +0100
Richard has already answered the question about the trip reset.  Some are
fairly well forwards (like my UK 73 with the big speedo) and some like on my
V8 (75 with small speedo) are way back.

The purpose of the charcoal canister is to trap fumes from the expansion of
fuel in the tank and float chamber, then when the engine is running outside
air is continually drawn through the canister to purge it of these fumes.
In theory your charcoal should eventually be dried out and purged with
normal running, but I've heard it said a number of times that after 30 years
or so it gets pretty gunky and ineffective anyway, making replacement
desirable.  As to from where, pass.

PaulH.