Re: Clutch slave piston, MGA early MGB

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch slave piston, MGA early MGB
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 18:27:56 -0500
At 12:18 PM 9/20/2006 +0100, Paul Hunt wrote:
>.... Was it cocked *inside* the bore? .... Does the piston wear?
>.... Could the cylinder have been opened out too much?  Or a
>mismatch between piston and cylinder?

Here's the follow-up with pictures and more details.  See here:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/faulty/ft032.htm

The piston is aluminum, did not pop out of the bore, did wear
dramatically while in correct position in the cylinder.  The rubber
dust boot was in good condition and in correct position, and this
part was only in service for a few years (driven daily).

My personal reaction is "Yikes!".  I have sent a message of inquiry
to the vendor of this part (Anglo Parts) to solicite comment.  Moss
Motors US has already responded to say that their parts have steel
pistons (as original).  Comments from other vendors are also welcome.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com