Voltage regulator, gas/temp gauge question...

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Voltage regulator, gas/temp gauge question...
From: Desmond Mullen <dkmullen@email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 16:27:42 -0400
Hello y'all,

I wonder if these two items are related:

#1) The gas gauge on my rubber-bumper B never reads full when I fill up the
tank - the gauge tops out at about 3/4 full.

#2) The temperature gauge occasionally does not register any temperature. At
some point later it may jump up to where the temperature really is. The
engine seems to be operating and cooling itself normally (and the fans
kick-in as appropriate), but it occasionally doesn't read on the gauge.

Could these problems together add up to a voltage regulator problem? Or
where else should I look? Neither issue is a very big deal - it's just not
quite right.

Thanks in advance!

-Desmond
'78 MGB (daily driver!)