Head Gasket

To: mgs@autox.team.net, Batans List <members@batans.ca>
Subject: Head Gasket
From: Malcolm Jeffcock <msjeffcock@eastlink.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 21:13:52 -0300
Thanks for all the input in reply to my question about my possible blown head
gasket.

I took off the head tonight (down to 1.5 hrs now) and sure enough there is a
gap of about 1/2 inch gone between #1 and #2. Nothing appears to be damaged
around #4 though.

I got another gasket set at NAPA, they only listed the one type of head gasket
nothing specific for a high compression engine. The guy at NAPA told me that a
local speed shop (prepares MASCAR engines) uses a copper sealant spray to
"strengthen the head gaskets" I expressed doubt and surprise. He got out the
catalogue, its the same company that makes the tube gasket stuff that usually
says on the label "not for head gaskets". I can't for the life of me remember
the name of the company but I am sure you have all seen the tubes I
mean...Anyway the catalogue description specially stated its purpose as for
head gaskets! He had none in stock but will have some in tomorrow. Has anybody
used any of this stuff????

I can't see any reason for the gasket to go there. Its a different head I will
again use a straight edge to check for it being flat between the 1 and 2.

any body have $.02 to through my way?

                                                                        Malcolm