Re: [TR] Re: Gear Ratios (General Automotive Question)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Re: Gear Ratios (General Automotive Question)
From: Stephen Bartley <ragtopday@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 13:38:44 -0400
Hello List

Longtime Digest lurker/First post in a very long while

My winter project is going to be a gearbox rebuild, the car has the
early 3 main/3 synchro setup. I had contemplated an OD gearbox but I
just don't drive on the highway often enough to warrant the expense,
and I want to keep the early feel to the car. Right now there is
pretty much no 2nd gear synchro, I have to baby it on upshifts and
downshifts into 2nd are a grind-fest, and the clutch is grabbing
higher & higher.

What I'm looking for is advice on what else to do while the motor and
gearbox are out of the car. I plan on the obvious like a clutch set
and new gearbox mounts, the motor runs strong with excellent oil
pressure & I don't have the finances for a total rebuild ofthe motor.

I need to know what I should do (if anything) to the motor and box
since I don't hope to pull it again for several years. I'll probably
do a new oil pan gasket and maybe a new rear main seal? Are there any
other "trouble" items or things that are more easily accessed while
the motor is out of the car? Etc. I'm open to any ideas/comments!

Thanks in advance!
Steve Bartley
Portsmouth NH
1963 MGB

We'll Throw All Our Cares Away......... It's a Ragtop
Day............. J. Buffett