diesel rated oils

Subject: diesel rated oils
From: Aaron Whiteman <awhitema@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 08:53:30 -0800
In the November-December MOWOG murmers (the publication of the Puget-
sound based MGCC), there is a rather interesting article entitled
"oil is killing our engines".

It is written by the head of a shop in Brush Prairie, Washington
(Foreign Parts Positively), after a seeing camshaft failure and
calling the manufacturer to investigate.

Apparently the modern API oils lack the levels of Zinc, Manganese and/
or phosphates to provide appropriate lubrication.  The article goes
into more detail (alas, I cannot find a copy online--it seems rather
good), but the gist is "use Diesel rated oil for flat tappet engines".

I don't have any background in lubrication or oils--just that I
religiously use GTX and always have.  This article has me considering
a switch to Delo.  Has anybody else seen or heard other articles
backing up the claim that modern oils are not-so-good?