Miss Under Load

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Miss Under Load
From: grabow.berniel@kendle.com
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 16:41:20 -0500
I am new to this list and have recently purchased a 1973 MGBGT.  Hopefully
someone can help me sort out an engine miss I am experiencing at highway
speeds when under load.  This miss is severe and is especially prominent
when I reach about 60 MPH and press on the gas to go faster or if I put it
in overdrive and accelerate, or if I start up a slight grade.  I do not
experience the miss when the car is not under load.

When  I purchased the GT the PO had installed a pertronix ignitor in the
distributor because he said that he had a lot of difficulty getting it to
run smoothly with points and condensor.  For the first 500 miles or so
after purchase the GT ran fine and only recently developed this missing
problem.  I switched the ignition back to points and condensor but there
has been no improvement.  The GT has the SU HIF carbs and I checked them
for flooding and all looked in order.  I checked for fuel flow and there
is no apparent problem there.  The fuel filters are clean and
unobstructed.  I checked the spark plugs and they were not fouled and
looked normal but I replaced the spark plugs and ignition rotor and still
no improvement.  The distributor cap and wires were replaced by the PO and
look good.  The GT idles smoothly and runs good around town in 1st, 2nd,
and 3rd gears.  But once I get up to speed in 4th gear and in overdrive
the missing occurs.  Any helpful ideas will be appreciated!  Thanks in
advance.

Bernie