Re: Starter gear problem

To: Pat Leask <pleask@shaw.ca>,mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starter gear problem
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 10:59:12 -0600
At 07:21 AM 12/15/2006 -0800, Pat Leask wrote:
>How do I determine if I have the correct gear on the starter? I got
>a new (used) starter for my  motor (1964 1800cc) and had it rebuilt
>and it could perhaps have the wrong gear. Were the gears specific to
>the MGB motor, or were all series "A" starter gears/rings the same?
>
>After installing it I was able to crank the car a few times but now
>it has jammed. I am wondering how I can determine if I have the
>correct gear on the starter, or if for some reason it is not the
>correct one.....

All MGA and early MGB use the same inertia type starter motor.  If it
cranks it must be the right pinion gear.

If it jams there is a good chance you have a worn ring gear.  The
ring gear wears mostly in two places about 4 inches long 180 degrees
apart.  This is where the engine comes to rest on compresion when it
shuts down with pistons half way up the stroke.  So the starter
pinion gear almost always begins engagement at these points.  Have
you checked the condition of the ring gear?

I have a web page on ring gear replacement here:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/clutch/ft_101.htm
If anyone has a picture of a badly worn ring gear, I would like to
post it on this web page.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com