Basic MGB Questions

To: <Daybell7@aol.com>, "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Basic MGB Questions
From: "Norm" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:23:29 -0500
Steve:

1 - There are a number of leak sources.  You need to look at the under-hood
firewall & "shelf" area.  Rotted grommets, seals, etc. will allow these
leaks.  Be sure to remove the brake cyl. cover & examine that area.  I
replaced a number of seals, grommets & then used silicone seal for other
holes.  The air vent has a drain that clogs & can be cleaned via a long
shaft screwdriver from beneath the car.

2 - How low has your B sagged?  Is it even L:R, F:R?  If so, leave it alone.
Lower is better.  But, if you do buy new springs, the usual complaint is the
rear is too high.  Easy fix is to remove a couple of the shorter leaves from
the bottom of the spring.

3 - You can create exhaust "music" a number of ways (unless you lived in
CA).  A glasspack in the center & SuperTrapp on the rear gave my B an idle
that sounded like a small-block V-8.  At speed, it was nice as well.  The
best sound came from a complete PECO system.  Most of the yers with my last
2 B's were with a center glasspack & rear ANSA.  Nice, but not like the
others.

Norm Sippel
Palm Harbor, FL
'59 Turner Mk. 1