Re: sparking 1980 MGB

To: "Thomas L. Burgin" <tburgin1@cox.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: sparking 1980 MGB
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:56:37 -0000
With the coil mounted on the inner wing the spark current does have to get
from the block to the body of the car to complete the circuit.  As such it
does need the engine or gearbox to be grounded.  If it weren't grounded you
wouldn't be able to start it with the starter.  And even if the ground strap
were faulty there are usually enough alternative paths via accelerator choke
and heater cables to allow it to crank slowly, at least, so certainly enough
for the HT.

What kind of ignition do you have? How much gap is there between carb and
brake cylinder that the spark is jumping?  If it is anything more than 1/4"
it implies either a helluva spark or something else is generating it.  Is it
regular or intermittent?  If the latter does the engine note change when you
get the spark compared to when you don't? And if so does it miss or stop
missing?  If you rev the engine then pull one of the wires off the coil (may
not be advisable if you have some types of aftermarket ignition) i.e. leave
the ignition on does the sparking stop or carry on for a bit?

PaulH.