Re: Linux (WAS: OFF-TOPIC computer advice)

To: "CHRIS KOTTING" <ckotting@wideopenwest.com>
Subject: Re: Linux (WAS: OFF-TOPIC computer advice)
From: "Simon Matthews" <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 21:24:33 -0800
Chris,

On 1/31/07, CHRIS KOTTING <ckotting@wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> Ubuntu is a pretty danged cool distribution.  I've played with it some, but
> haven't implemented it on any of our machines (we have 6 at home).  The
> biggest thing that slows it down is that it was designed to boot from a CD
> on any machine without needing to be installed on that machine.  That piles
> a ton of overhead processing that systems that need to be installed don't
> have to deal with.

With Ubuntu, you have the choice: run from CD or install and run from
the hard drive. I have 2 systems with Ubuntu installed -- both dual
boot, one used mainly for Windows, the other (my laptop) mainly for
Ubuntu Linux.

I have recently been using my personal  desktop, running Gentoo Linux
for editing home videos from my digital camcorder and writing them to
DVDs --  I have to say that it has been easier to do under Linux than
it ever was under Windows.

Regards,
Simon