Help, picture needed

To: mg list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Help, picture needed
From: Carl French <leylandauto@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 06:48:48 -0800 (PST)
Copied from the MGB Experience board, This was written by Mike Joy who does
commentary for NASCAR on Fox TV among many other things when he is not enjoying
his MGs ;

   "had Greg Fielden, our FOX NASCAR historian do the research, and yes, the
last foreign nameplate to race in what is now Nextel Cup was......... an MG
!!!!
.
August 1963 in Winston-Salem NC, Smoky Wood the driver, the car overheated
after 12 laps and finished 17th.
.
The official record of the race is the payoff sheet, and it only lists the
driver's name, the car is just "MG" (no model listed), and the payoff ($75).
.
My guess is they had a short field of cars that night, and added some locals or
SCCA racers to fill the grid... those cars ran a few laps and pulled in once
lapped, taking the starting money. Overheating may have been the reason, or
more likely, a convenient excuse for pulling off the track. It was a race he
had little chance of winning against the big V8 cars that were optomized for
left hand turns.
.
I put this on the air today on our Speed coverage of Nextel Cup practice, and
will bring it up again several times this week as Toyota makes their entry into
Cup racing.
.
TV being a visual medium, I'd REALLY like to find a photo of Wood's MG race car
from 1963. Any help is greatly appreciated... I'd love to use a photo on our
Daytona 500 telecast a week from Sunday.
Can anyone help? ""
.
Thanks in advance,
Mike Joy
FOX Sports

  Come on People!! we have our chance to shine here!
  Carl French

8:00? 8:25? 8:40?  Find a flick in no time