RE: retrofitting older tail lights to newer car

To: "Rick Lindsay" <rolindsay@yahoo.com>, "MGS" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: retrofitting older tail lights to newer car
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 09:09:01 -0800
Rick:

Welcome back.

I've got a 1970 MGB too, but feel the need to keep it externally
original looking, since the split rear bumper is a bit unique. It sounds
like I can live vicariously through your mods. : )

As previously noted, you will need the whole early lamp assembly.

You can bolt the early lamps onto the late car, but not the other way
around. The later lamps have a wider reflector, so need a larger hole in
the fender. I found this out when I replaced a damaged LR fender on a
previous 1970 with an early used fender. A bit of time with a file and
the later lamps fit.

I'm planning on doing a similar retrofit on my 1978 V8. Taking off the
side markers and installing the early rear lamps. It gets the car back
to the original clean design.

Kelvin.