[MGS] Rattling sound from the rear 73 GT

To: mg list <mgs@autox.team.net>, MG-MGB <MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [MGS] Rattling sound from the rear 73 GT
From: Carl French <leylandauto@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 16:13:08 -0700 (PDT)
Last week while stopping at a shopping center in a very heavy snowstorm, I ran
over a parking lot divider with beveled edges. It made ugly sounds under the
car but it seemed fine and runs just as good.

Within a day, I started to get a dull rattle to the rear of the car. It
correlates with rpm (esp in the 2000-2500 range). It comes on more with load
than cruise. It is a bit intermittent which does not seem to correlate with hot
or cold metal (expansion). I figured it was something on the Peco system that
got knocked. I got the car on the lift today at the Britbits Spring open house.
We found nothing wrong with the Peco system and in fact we could not find any
evidence of a strike under the car. The big things we found was a slightly worn
front U-Joint and worn shock links. The right side was very loose at the bottom
and is now on my short to-do list. The shocks 'seemed' tight by hand but I did
not put a wrench to them.
What do people think I am looking at for the source of the noise? Could the bad
shock link be the cause?
Carl French

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.