Re: [MGS] Clutch was A little restoration progress

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [MGS] Clutch was A little restoration progress
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 00:54:56 +0930
On 18/05/2007, at 12:13 AM, Paul Hunt wrote:

> Could be some other problem making you think it is the clutch that
> is wrong, or causing it to fail.  What are the symptoms, and are
> they the same each time?  Not sure about "getting the thing re-
> built" though, normally one replaces the clutch and release
> bearing.  You might ream and rebuild the master or slave, but only
> once, if it failed again you'd replace it.

This is a heavy four-button clutch that should be able to take four
times the horsepower I have in this little thing.  It lasted three
years of road and track punishment (including 10 hour drives
interstate... racing... hillclimbing... then 10 hours back, at least
once a year).

Then basically the centre fell apart - no gears, nada (and drove it
an hour home that way).

I got it "re-built".

Three months later after a great standing start on the track (yes, we
do those here), I noticed a strange feeling in the pedal for three
quarters of a lap, then I could only intermittently get gears (and
drove it an hour home that way).

Then four months later I had the thing out of the car to get it
painted so I checked the clutch and found various bits (springs etc.)
were really loose, so I got it "re-built" (well, it was out of the
car, so why not) and all was fine.

The other day I drove out to get racing fuel for the weekend and on
the way home I felt massive shuddering through the clutch pedal as I
released it - and the clutch grabbed violently at the top.  No, I
didn't take it to the track.

I still haven't got my Supra (or Corolla... I have one in the shed)
gearbox in, so it is always an engine-out fix and it is starting to
get tiresome.  I don't drive the thing too hard.  I don't ride the
clutch.  She gets a bit of a pounding at the track but hell, it is a
racing clutch!

There you have it!!!

:-)

Eric
'68 MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia

PS That French flag marshall was my houseguest for the past ten days!