Re: [Mgs] MGB Cockpit Cover

To: "Preston Smith" <prbasmith@gmail.com>, "MG List"
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGB Cockpit Cover
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:53:23 -0700
Preston:

I left the recommendations to others for obvious reasons.

The cockpit cover is made from the same Duravent fabric that our 4 year
warranty car covers are made from. It is light, compact and would hold
up to anything short of small herd animals trying to jump into your car.

The material is water resistant enough that you would not want to leave
the cover on during a rain storm without a tonneau under it. It will
hold water, but after the first couple of gallons it's going to be
dripping pretty quickly. BTDT.

I'm not making promises, but I think the cockpit cover installed over a
tonneau would keep the car completely dry even in a major storm. A
properly fitted tonneau usually only leaks at the center zip (keep it
lubed with beeswax) and a little behind the dash from splash. The
cockpit cover would do a good job preventing these leaks.

The best uses for the cover are as a quick sun cover or leaf/sap cover.
It's much quicker to throw on than to snap down both sides of a tonneau.

The elastic hold downs connect to the wipers and bottom of rockers. At
the rear there are two tabs which are clamped under the boot lid. If you
lock the boot, the cover cannot wander off.

For MGA owners, there is an added benefit. If you store you car without
a top up, the windshield post top pins play havoc with regular car
covers. The cockpit cover for the A has reinforced pads where the pins
hit so prevents damage if you are using a full cover outside in the
wind.

Kelvin Dodd

On