[Mgs] Oil filter mount, oil cooler, accusump ....

To: MG List <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Oil filter mount, oil cooler, accusump ....
From: Larry Colen <lrc@red4est.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 00:11:58 -0700
As I finish repairing my carport, I am getting closer to getting my
MGBGT http://red4est.com/jasmine put back together. With the
supercharger, I should probably get about 100hp to the ground out of
it. When it was last running with the blower (and a few problems like
cracked rings) I saw between 95 and 105 on the chassis dyno. The car
will also probably see track time every couple of months, and
occasional rallycross or autocross. Maybe 1,000 - 2,000 miles of hard
driving a year, plus regular spirited driving around the Santa Cruz
mountains.

If one is not worried about maintaining originality, but is concerned
with functionality, ease of use and the like, what is the best oil
filter mount to use on an MGB?

I've used a couple of different types of spin-on mounts, and prefer
them to the canister type. I learned a painful lesson about
overtightening, when I blew the o-ring where it mounted and dumped all
the oil in my brand new motor on the ground.

I can see that there would be various advantages in access, as well as
cleanliness, if the oil filter were moved from the side of the block
to a remote location (side of the engine compartment?).

I have heard of people mounting oil coolers directly below the stock
location, where they don't block air flow to the radiator. It seems to
be fairly straightforward, without much cutting required. How much
luck have people had with this?

What sort of luck have people had with accusumps? They seem like
they'd do well for getting pressure to the bearings on startup, and
would prevent pressure loss on long turns on the racetrack.

--
                All your apex are belong to us.
Larry Colen             lrc@red4est.com            http://www.red4est.com/lrc