Re: [Mgs] [MG-MGB] Re: Lowered MGB

To: <MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] [MG-MGB] Re: Lowered MGB
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 16:36:28 +0100
I've got this myself to go through now, after breaking a rear spring on a 1
in 2 hairpin mountain pass on the Snowdon Run this weekend.  Right at the
bottom I heard a 'ping' and felt something through my seat, but didn't fancy
stopping there and then!  Everything seemed OK until 20 miles later on a
relatively straight bit I noticed the steering wheel turned about 15 degrees
to the right.  Got off the road and looked round the car to see the right
rear wheel way back in the arch.  Looked underneath to the see the main leaf
broken immediately in front of the clamping plate, and the other leaves had
slipped through the clips by about an inch
(http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/sr07.htm).  Fortunately the shackle almost
fully extended backwards stops the axle going back far enough to hit the
arch, so we opted to head the 150 miles for home rather than wait several
hours for a pick-up.  Accelerated, braked and steered very gently (which did
wonders for the mpg) and got home without further ado.  I've ordered new
springs, time will tell how many people I need to sit in the load-space to
get the rebound rubbers fastened.

PaulH.