Re: [Mgs] Price Of Two 6 Volt Batteries/now starters

To: <WSpohn4@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Price Of Two 6 Volt Batteries/now starters
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 13:09:18 -0700
The little gear reduction starters do make sense if you are continuing
the thought of adding modern upgrades.

They are lighter, take less current and offer a more positive engagement
than the earlier spring type starters.

Not for everyone, but they definitely do have advantages in some areas.

As with all things there are a few down sides, such as cost, required
wiring changes, the evil noise and ensuring adequate terminal
insulation.

For some applications such as the Rover V8 they are a definite godsend.

Come to think of it, the harsh rip of my Rover SD1 starter is a lot more
comforting than the slow grinding of the original one in my MGB. But at
over 150,000 miles it's probably earned it's slowness, kinda like me
getting up in the morning.

Kelvin.

WSpohn4@aol.com
> Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2007 12:51 PM
> To: mgs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [Mgs] Price Of Two 6 Volt Batteries
> ____________________________________
>
> I agree. Having heavy duty batteries in a street MG is overkill, just
> like
> putting a high torque starter is overkill, unless the difference in
price
> is
> insignificant. The stock starter spins them just fine, and a regular
12
> volt
> battery works just dandy.
>
> Having 2 6 volt batteries 'because it is original' is, IMHO, silly.
More