Re: [Mgs] [MG-MGB] rear springs

To: <WSpohn4@aol.com>, <MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] [MG-MGB] rear springs
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 11:19:20 +0100
The whole point is that with the body supported to do the job, you should be
able to jack under the springs and compress them enough to get them fully
fitted, long before the body lifts off its supports.  On its wheels and just
the vehicle weight i.e. no occupants the rebound strap should be curved and
there should be about 3" between the top of the bump-stop pedestal and the
bottom of the bump-rubber.  If this isn't the case the springs are faulty.
Off-car there should be 41.5" measured in a straight line from the centre of
the front eye to the centre of the rear eye.  If yours are less than this
they are too arched.  If they measure that but the weight of the car with
engine, gearbox, prop-shaft, axle installed is insufficient to allow you to
compress the springs as I say above then they are too hard.

PaulH.