[Mgs] Spin-On Filters (was Paper or Felt Filters)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [Mgs] Spin-On Filters (was Paper or Felt Filters)
From: Wilkmanracing@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 14:49:38 EDT
After reading the responses to my posting on paper versus felt filters, I'm
thinking maybe the best solution is to replace the stock filter arrangement
with  a spin-on filter.  It occurs to me that the increased oil pressure
associated with felt filters might be due to oil passing by the filter without
actually going through it.  In the case of the filter I recently removed,  it
was
crammed so tightly up against the filter canister, that I could see no  way
oil could have passed through the filter.  Maybe with the paper filter,  there
is an actual passage of oil through the filter element, and thus a  lowering of
the oil pressure  With a spin-on filter, there would certainly  be a passage
of oil through the filtering element, as the internals are  rigid.    I would
think, too, that the modern materials in a  spin-on filter would allow a
filtering action without reducing the oil  pressure.

Any thoughts on this?

Bill Wilkman