Re: [Mgs] dropping RPM's

To: "SCOTT BONACKER" <scottbonacker@sbcglobal.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] dropping RPM's
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 15:45:04 +0100
The only benefit of HIFs over HSs is they don't tend to 'bog down' if left
idling for a long time like HSs can, and are slightly kinder to the
environment.  Everything else is a negative, the biggest being the float
chambers being below the carbs so you almost always have to remove the carbs
to do anything with the float and replace the O-ring seal every time.  I
think you would have to pull a huge amount of G to get the benefit of the
jets being in the middle of the float chamber instead of to one side with
the theoretical risk of starvation.  The 'enrichment device' is a separate
valve which can get blocked, has O-ring seals which can leak, and you can't
visually tell whether it is operating or not.  The poppet valves in the
butterflies are a pain, although they can be soldered up easy enough or
replaced (not so easy).

PaulH.