Re: [Mgs] Ignition light always on, low glow

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Ignition light always on, low glow
From: David Breneman <david_breneman@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 10:11:05 -0700 (PDT)
--- Bob Donahue <bobmgtd@insightbb.com> wrote:

> I've heard that maintenance free batteries need a
> slightly higher charging voltage. So maybe there's a slight
> mismatch between
> the voltage of the new tech batteries and the charging voltage of
> the old
> alternator, that makes the light glow. - Just a theory ;-).

There may be something to that.  A few years ago, when my
grandmother passed away, I drove her 73 Cadillac from her
winter place in Palm Springs to her home near Tacoma.
Driving a car that, for the previous 20 years, had only
been driven a few hundred miles a year, and most of that
under 50 MPH, 1200 freeway miles up I-5, was a daunting
enough task.  But the alternator light glowed dimly the
whole way.  That car also had a low-maintenance battery
in it.  I'm sure if the battery was really losing charge,
even slowly, I could not have made it.  The old Caddy
was a real trooper, however, and made the trip without
incident.  My grandfather would have been proud.

David Breneman         david_breneman@yahoo.com

Tonight's top picks. What will you watch tonight? Preview the hottest shows on
Yahoo! TV.
http://tv.yahoo.com/