[Mgs] Carburettor question

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Carburettor question
From: "Barak" <barak@hughes.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 18:12:56 -0400
Hello list!

I've got a couple of quick questions about HS carburettors...

I've got the Haynes SU Carb manual, and I'm using it to put my carbs back
together, and I've come to the part where you initially set the jet.  Their
instructions read "... Screw down the jet adjusting nut/screw two turns on
non-tamperproof carburetors, or three turns on tamperproofed carburettors".

So how do you tell the difference between a "tamperproofed" and a
"non-tamperproof" carb???  I can't seem to find any other reference to this
in the book on a quick glance through.  One whole turn seems like it would
make a huge difference, and I'd rather get this right the first time (and
it's much easier to see/count turns when it's laying on my bench).  :p

Oh, and how the heck are you supposed to get at that fast idle screw when
the carbs are attached to the car?  My hands don't bend that way in the
first place and aren't nearly small enough in the second.

Chris
~70 MGB