[Mgs] Electrical system questions

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Electrical system questions
From: "Barak" <barak@hughes.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 15:11:33 -0400
Thanks to everyone for their help on the carburetor question.

As a bit of back story, this is a car I bought several years ago and began
work on, then had to put away for a long time due to life circumstances.
I've recently been able to get it out and dig into it again, so you'll
probably be hearing from me a bit more frequently now.

Now, on to the electrical issues.

1)Stop lamps don't come on when the brake is depressed.

I tried to trace the wiring and ran into a snag...  I can't seem to find the
stoplamp switch!  I find what I think is the pressure test lamp switch (with
two black/white wires attached) sitting on top of the hydraulic union.  In
the same vicinity are two wires not connected to anything, one green with
one of the female bullet receptacles on it and the other green/purple with a
bullet connector on it.  According to my schematic, those are the two wires
that should go into the stoplamp switch.  I'm sure it doesn't help that I
don't know what this switch should look like either.  :(

2) Right hand turn signal doesn't flash, it is steady on.  The left hand
side flashes as it should.  When the hazards are turned on, both sides flash
as they should.

I don't think this is a grounding issue, as when I use a test probe to check
the green/white wire the current remains steady.  I would think that
grounding it that way would cause it to flash if it were a ground issue
(please correct me if this is an incorrect assumption).

I also don't think it is a flasher issue since the left side works fine.

I've bought matching bulbs and replaced them all around, so there isn't a
mismatch in them.

Is it possible for the stalk switch to have gone bad in some way as to cause
this?  Although a connection *is* being made since it does light up.

Any help with the above would be much appreciated!  Especially the stop
lights... I don't want to drive it until that is fixed.  I can deal with the
turn signal issue for a while if I have to.

Thanks!
Chris
~1970 MGB