Re: [Mgs] MGA Transmission

To: Weberstevej@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGA Transmission
From: "Phil Bates" <jello@ida.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 16:46:14 -0600 (MDT)
Steve,

The answer is essentially no.  The shift rod and the "rear engine mount"
which is also the sole transmission mount are part of the tailshaft
housing.  Remove them, you've removed the support of your engine and
transmission.  While it might be possible to do, it will be a lot more
work than removing the entire engine and transmission and separating out
what you need to.

It is almost always easier to remove engine and trans together, and then
do what you need to and put it all back than it is to try to remove a
major part of either unit (engine, transmission, tailshaft, etc.).  Engine
out procedure is about 4 - 6 hours if you know what your're doing.  Back
in is about 2 more than out.

What you can do, though, is drain the trans oil, remove the propeller
shaft, and if at all possible, work on the seal in situ.  It will be hard
to get to, but not impossible, and would be shorter than removing the
entire engine and transmission.

Phil Bates
'58 MGA
'67 MGB
lots of other british and european stuff