Re: [Mgs] Oil again and again

To: "Bill Cole" <wmcolesr@wowway.com>,<mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Oil again and again
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 21:15:14 -0500
At 02:14 PM 11/1/2007 -0500, Bill Cole wrote:
>2)  Anybody know how to change the upside-down filter in a late B
>without dumping oil all over the place?

Yes.  If you do it right this can be one of the easiest and cleanest
changing oil filters you ever encountered, much less messy than the
angled hanging spin on filters.

Start by using a center punch or a small Phillips screwdriver and a
hammer to punch two holes in the end of the cannister, one in the
center and one near the outside edge (inside and outside of the
filter element).  This lets air into the cannister so the oil can
drain out.  Then drain the sump before removing the filter.  By the
time you get back to remove the filter it will be empty.  The only
oil remaining will be a puddle in the adapter, about flush with the
seal surface.  If you hold a shop rag or soft paper towel under it
when you unscrew the filter you can catch the little dribbles.

I like this inverted spin-on adapter for a few more reasons.  It has
easy access for filter changing of course, but also you can remove
the starter motor without removing the oil filter, and you can remove
the engine from the car (for clutch or gearbox work) without removing
the filter.  Contrary to common belief, there is no problem with oil
drain back while the car is parked, because there is no way for air
to get into the filter.  Any spin-on filter (including hanging
filters) should have an anti-drain-back valve to prevent oil from
draining down from the upper engine back through the oil pump
(considering oil pump internal clearances).

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com