Re: [Mgs] steering damper

To: "Monte/Jane Morris" <montejane@gmail.com>, "MG list"
Subject: Re: [Mgs] steering damper
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 09:48:08 -0000
I've only ever done it via the gaiter as it looks easier, maybe LHD cars are
different.  The quantity isn't *that* critical, although too much could
burst the gaiter if you swap locks quickly.  1/3rd Imperial pint, .4 US
pint, .2 Litre.

One point is that the Workshop Manual does actually show a 'gasket' for the
damper cover as well as shims.  However I don't recall ever finding anything
other than thin metal shims in there.  It is a fact that if you put a
conventional compressible gasket in there you will have to reset the shims,
and then if the gasket compresses over time it will tighten the steering up.

PaulH.