Re: [Mgs] Old Gas

To: Monte/Jane Morris <montejane@gmail.com>, "Dodd, Kelvin"
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Old Gas
From: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 06:03:59 -0800 (PST)
Just read this thread and it caused me to think.

Gasoline (or petrol) is a specific mixture of
hydrocarbons plus a tiny fraction of additives
professed to make big differences.  That knowledge
leads to two points.

(1) Since all gasoline is basically the same, brand
name means very little.  In fact, I select my fuel
supplier NOT based upon the vendor brand name but on
the volume of fuel they sell and the cleanliness of
their facility.  The first bit assumes that if there
is a lot of turnover, the chance of water or other
contaminates is less, and if the facility is clean,
neat and well maintained then perhaps the tanks and
delivery system is as well.

(2) Since gasoline is a mixture of hydrocarbons, all
with different PVT properties, it should be obvious
that the 'lighter' hydrocarbons evaporate first.  That
means that old gas is not the same composition as new
gas.  In fact, the fact that lighter constituents
flash off to the gaseous state quicker is why its easy
to start a car with fresh fuel.  The heavier
components need more heat to get them into the gaseous
state for combustion.  (Remember back there in
chemistry 101 when they said that all materials
oxidize in the gaseous state?)

Good stuff.  I like it when the list turns technical.
:-)

rick
'70 MGB Tourer