Re: [Mgs] International Drivers License

To: "'Pat Harris - \"sammler\"'" <sammler@bellsouth.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] International Drivers License
From: "Murray Arundell" <arundell@ghs.com.au>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 08:28:41 +1000
AS a frequent traveller around the world I can tell you that in many
countries you are required to leave your passport with reception at the
hotel for a minimum of a couple of hours.  (Time varies with each place).
In these countries Hoteliers are required to register all foreigners with
the authorities within a specified time of check-in.

Also in some countries Hoteliers will request your passport so that they can
be sure you'll not do a runner without paying.

Some countries require international Driver's Permits, some don't.  I've
never needed one in Europe or the USA, but then I am using an Australian
Drivers Licence.  I dare say that if I proffered an Uzbekistanian Licence at
the Hertz counter things might be different.

For any of you planning to venture Down-Under be sure to get yourself an
International Driver's Licence.  Apparently its now a requirement here in
order to rent a car.

Cheers - Murray Arundell
Brisbane Australia