Re: [Mgs] questions about '78 MG Midget

To: "Dodd,Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] questions about '78 MG Midget
From: ejrussell@mebtel.net
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:02:44 -1200
A few have mentioned the thrust washer issue.

Do the thrust washers wear out & fail or fall out?

Can I assume that dropping the oil sump and removing a main
cap is the way to check/fix? And that this is possible
without removing the engine? Are there various thickness of
these washers or is it as simple as buying a new set (one
size fits all) and replacing?

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

> Have your friend engage the clutch while you look at the
> front crank pulley. Look for thrust movement of the crank
> pulley.
>
> Thrust washer failure is extremely common with the 1500.
> Any thrust movement will cause the rod bearings to wear
> our prematurely. Replacing them and checking the thrust
> surfaces should be normal maintenance every 40,000 miles.
>
> Kelvin Dodd

Login from home, work, school.  Anywhere!