Re: [Mgs] John Hed is on leave. Back in on Monday 11/26

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] John Hed is on leave. Back in on Monday 11/26
From: David Breneman <david_breneman@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 08:57:03 -0800 (PST)
--- "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu> wrote:

> This might be a valid complaint if it came from someone using an
> equivalent (real) email program. But from a yahoo email user, using
> webmail advertising based program? You have got to be kidding.

Hi, David -

Hardly.  The ads are unobtrusive, and they only effect me.
I no longer have the time to administer my own mail server,
and don't want to pay my ISP for a static IP address (I can
rent web server time from Go Daddy for a fraction of the
cost) so this serves my purpose completely, and as annoying
as a graphical-interface mail reader can be, it's a hell of
a lot less annoying that Microsoft Outhouse.  It's Yahoo
and Outlook that are equivalent, not Outlook and sendmail.

> Which is worse - a one time out of office message (it does not
> repeat
> after the first one goes out)? Or the much longer mandatory
> advertising
> trailer that we have to get with EVERY email sent by a yahoo user
> (see below, "Be a better penpal...").

You don't have to scroll that far down, do you?

> As a computer system administrator, I see yahoo email as one of the
> biggest problems with email in today's Internet. It's the favorite
> email
> for Nigerian scams and other types of marketing email. Criticize
> Microsoft mail all you like but at least its providing an overall
> beneficial purpose even if it may not be perfect in all its
> functionality.

An "overall beneficial purpose"?!?  Microsoft is responsible for
destroying email as we knew it!  Rick text, html, embedded
graphics, broken headers; like anything else Microsoft
touches, they've taken a useful medium of communication
and turned it into an annoyance.  I worked for four
organizations as they transitioned from open email systems
to Outlook.  Three had used unix-based mail servers, one
used an OS/390 server.  In every instance, the process took
longer, had more problems, and was far more expensive that
the advocates had ever imagined.  Didn't surprise me even
the first time.

I'm a computer systems administrator and systems architect
myself.  I've run Unix data centers for Fortune 500 companies
and federal government service providers for 20 years.  I
remember when email was efficient and easy to use.  Plain
text, read with elm or pine, transmitted by uucp or TCP/IP,
quick and simple.  Microsoft changed that.  Don't blame me
for that.  I fought against it for 10 years.  Now we're
stuck with this mess.  But sorry, it's not *my* fault
anymore than the death of MG is Syd Enever's.

David Breneman         david_breneman@yahoo.com

Make Yahoo! your homepage.
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs