Re: [Mgs] Raising motor to change mounts

To: <mgs@bonacker.us>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Raising motor to change mounts
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 16:17:39 -0000
Not sure I understand this.  AFAIK the 77 and later mounts are to the same
design (albeit slightly softer) than the V8 and the chassis brackets are
identical.  My V8 mounts have two holes in 'ears' on the side of the mount
that goes towards the engine, for bolts to attach it to the engine, plus the
off-set stud that goes through the chassis bracket.  Incidentally the mount
must be orientated such that the stud is in the lower of the two possible
positions.  The chassis bracket has a slot cut in it rather than a circular
hole, and this serves two purposes.  Normally one would attach the mounts to
the engine and lower it into position.  The studs are at an angle and so the
slots allow them to pass through the chassis mount (the engine being lowered
vertically), which they wouldn't if they were only plain holes.  It also
allows for dimensional differences between the chassis rails by allowing the
mounts to sit higher up or lower down as appropriate.  Sometimes shims were
added if the engine sat too low, as the exhaust on the V8 can hit the
steering shaft and the inner wing.  The stud has a large flat square washer
plus a split washer and a nut to secure it, none of these 'lift out' when
the mount is lifted up, they have to be completely removed.

One of my standard spanners (inherited from my father) fits in the space to
tighten/undo this nut.  It is called a 'slim jim' or something similar, but
doesn't seem to be that much slimmer than my modern spanners.

PaulH.