[Mgs] e-bay scam

To: mg info list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] e-bay scam
From: Tuck Southworth <tsouthworth70@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 20:10:09 -0500
Recent Scam Attempt

Like many other owners of classic cars I often review the Ebay section of
Vehicles for Sale usually looking at the MG range with special interest in the
T.Type. My interest is simple; what's for sale and how much?
I recently saw a 1953 MGTD in nice condition offered for $5,900. (Five
thousand nine hundred dollars) You don't have to be a expert to know that this
seems a rather low price for such a vehicle especially as the price included
transport to my garage. Thinking that there had to be an error in the printed
price I contacted the seller, Victoria Peterson @yahoo.com and asked if that
price was correct.
I received a reply telling me that the car had belonged to her late husband
who had recently passed away and she simply wanted the car out of her home as
it brought back too many memories. She estimated the sale price from an offer
she got from a local garage.
As I had been the first to contact her the car was mine and an official Ebay
Invoice came about an hour later on my computer screen. It directed me to
obtain a Money Gram from my local Wal-Mart Store and send it to Natalee
Matthews San-Jose CA Zip 95125.
I contacted the seller asking why a Money Gram was required and she referred
me to another Ebay contact

 aw-confirm@cgi4-ebaymotorspurchase.com.

 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots, you need JavaScript
enabled to view it

 Their response was that to stop fraud they chose an Ebay contact who would
forward my payment to the seller and a receipt would be filed back to me for
reference. The Email was printed on Ebay headed paper and had all the
professional appearance of an official invoice from Ebay.
However there was no reference number in respect to the purchase which I found
strange and in order to get this number I returned to the MGT car section of
Ebay to find that the car had been withdrawn from the auction. Question: Was
this because I had agreed to purchase? However the fact that Ebay was
requesting that I use a Money Gram when they always recomend Pay Pall seemed
strange so I contacted Ebay Security asking why this change in policy.
Within two hours the reply came back. THIS IS A SCAM DO NOT SEND ANY MONEY.
EBAY NEVER ISSUES AN INVOICE OR GETS INVOLVED WITH THE PURCHASE OFANY ITEM. My
reaction was swift, the purchase was off!
I sent all the various Emails that I had received to the security people at
Ebay and sincerely hope that they catch these people before they try the same
thing again on some other poor individual. It was only because of my awareness
of Ebay requirements that saved me from being $5,900 out of pocket, also the
fact that a 1953 MGTD would never be sold for such a price. But I must admit
was tempted to send the money.
Every document I received from the scammers looked correct and professional,
like the phony checks from overseas banks purchasing your car for more than
you asked etc.
I always said that I would never be silly enough to be taken in by such a
hoax. How wrong can any one be!
Geoff Wheatley December 7th 2007