[Mgs] Did a little MGB tuning today

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Did a little MGB tuning today
From: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 12:11:02 -0800 (PST)
Hello Friends,
   Today I finished the RF axle and brakes and decided
to start the car and bring the engine up to
temperature.  After getting it started (been a few
months since it has run) I balanced the carbs and
re-tweaked the carb balance.  I then reset the linkage
adjustments and since the engine was at operating
temperature, I set the idle speed.

Here are some details with questions embedded.  Please
share your opinions.

Car: 1970 Split-bumper MGB Tourer

Engine: 1965 18GB engine installed by some PO

Distributor: 25D4  #40879 A 864 w/10 degree c-adv.
Vacuum capsule: 54411230  5-13-10

Static timing: 10 degrees BTDC
Actual static timing: 10 degrees BTDC

Recommended timing: 14 degrees BTDC @ 600 rpm
Actual timing: 10 degrees BTDC @ 1000 rpm

Recommended idle: 600 rpm (?)
Actual idle: 800-1000rpm (lowest stable speed)
Question: Your cars actually idle smoothly at 600rpm?

Recommended points gap: 0.014"-0.016" gap
Actual points gap: 0.015"

Recommended dwell: 60 degrees
Actual dwell: 50 degrees
Question: Too much difference, recommend readjustment?

Recommended plugs: N9CY @ 0.024" gap
Actual plugs: N9CY @ 0.024" gap

Vacuum: Optimized to -16psi (gauge), measured at
manifold, and stable at idle (+/- 1/2 psi, max)

Engine smooth through entire engine speed range (up to
4k), once warmed up.  No smoke of any color.  Will do
a hot compression test, dry and wet, later and when I
next start the car.  Little bit of valve train noise.
Nothing abnormal.  Nice exhaust note if a little
rattly (old worn muffler).

I haven't yet set the air balance when on the
high-idle choke cams.  Have to wait until the engine
is cold again to do it right.

Okay, one corner left to rebuild and a bleed of the
whole brakes and we're back on the road.  Oh yea, I
have to repaint the wheels.  Will just do a touch-up
spray job as they are not bad, just tatty.

regards,

rick / houston, tx