Re: [Mgs] Anti freeze Weep From Head Gasket

To: "Valda and Merl Rosenthal" <mvrose@charter.net>, "MG List"
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Anti freeze Weep From Head Gasket
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 16:37:37 -0000
Not normal, shouldn't happen at any time.  It can be caused by a gasket
leak, but also a cracked head.  With a gasket leak could be a warped head as
well as an actual gasket problem.  When the gasket *does* go it is often
(usually?) between cylinders 2 and 3 and not external.  Whilst it is normal
to retorque the nuts after a couple of hundred miles or so, it still
shouldn't be leaking beforehand - or afterwards.  When retorquing it is only
necessary to break the stiction, which only needs a fraction of a turn, less
than 1/4 turn, and certainly not 'loose' before retightening or I'd have
thought you could be risking warping.  Do one nut at a time i.e. back-off
and retorque one nut before moving on to the next, going round in the
original order.   2,400 miles seems enough to preclude any component problem
when assembled, or incorrect assembly.  It's a fact of life these days that
components i.e. the gasket often don't last like they should, it should last
many 10's of thousands of miles.  However it also depends on what gasket you
used.  A copper-faced can just be whacked on and tightened up, but a
composite needs much more care as it has to bond to the head and block to
give a proper seal.  The head and block surfaces must be scrupulously clean,
a bit-by-bit torquing process in the correct order, then run the engine
*dry* till it gets very warm to the touch but not too hot to touch, then
left overnight to cool down.  Then retorque using the backing-off process,
then fill with coolant but *without* the rad cap and run until getting up to
temperature, or until the coolant starts overflowing, then again left to
cool overnight.  Next day retorque again backing-off as before, then refil
with coolant, replace cap, and away you go.  The valve need readjusting
after each retorque.

PaulH.