[Mgs] Starter freezing up on cold days

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Starter freezing up on cold days
From: "Bob Donahue" <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 09:57:13 -0500
I use my MGB as a daily driver. It's been a reliable starter-upper the last
couple winters even below zero. But this winter the starter seems to 'freeze
up' when it's cold. We've had cycles of rain followed by plummeting
temperatures lately. Here's how the starter acts:

Turn key to starter position - Below freezing, not a peep out of the
starter, but the solenoid is drawing normal current. Above freezing, no
problem.

Hold key on starter position - If it's not too far below freezing, the
starter will suddenly take off after 10 to 30 seconds. If the temperature is
in the teens or colder, I have to use a hair dryer on the starter.

Does this sound like water in the starter solenoid? Is it a common problem
on MGBs?

BTW, this car isn't garaged and is driven in the rain.

Bob Donahue (Still Stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
Cars:       52 MGTD - #17639
               71 MGB - #GHN5UB254361