Re: [Mgs] [MG-MGB] Starter wiring

To: <MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] [MG-MGB] Starter wiring
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 15:00:51 -0000
Rubber bumper cars have extra wiring to an additional terminal on the
solenoid, these wires MUST NOT be connected to anything else if there isn't
the extra terminal on the solenoid.

The standard solenoid wire is white/red on early cars, and brown/white or
white/brown on later cars.  The extra wire on rubber bumper cars is
white/light-green or white/light blue and is the coil ballast bypass wire
used when cranking.  If you connect this to the battery cable stud it will
power the coil all the time, and with double the current to boot, which will
overheat the coil, make some cars impossible to switch off, and flatten the
battery while parked.  If you connect it to the same terminal as the
white/red or white/brown you will end up with *reduced* voltage to the coil
and possible running problems, and possibly a continuously running starter.

This wire is used to give boost voltage to the coil when starting, which
makes starting easier.  If you leave it disconnected the car will probably
still start most of the time, but may not under adverse conditions.  There
is a way of retaining the boost function with either a relay or a diode, but
you have to know what you are doing.  Better to get the correct starter with
the 2-spade solenoid.

PaulH.