Re: [Mgs] Removing Carbon Build Up on Piston Heads

To: paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Removing Carbon Build Up on Piston Heads
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:22:34 -0500
 Paul,
   I've read in some texts,  very old ones, though, that one should place
a section of ring on top of piston before scraping, then scrape to the
ring.  It was not written, however, if that was to provide protection of
cylinder wall from the scraper, or if it was to preserve the ring of
carbon around the outer edge of the piston.
   I agree that there seems to be no reason to leave the ring of carbon,
but have read to do so in a number of sources. Perhaps it was a practice
in USA years ago.
Bob