Re: [Mgs] Rewiring the B?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Rewiring the B?
From: "Don Scott" <dscott1@sonoma-county.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 08:10:49 -0800
I have had a lot of MGs over the years, but I don't recall
that wiring got brittle.  It's copper with a plastic sheath.
 What can cause problems is the bullet connections.  You can
just find 'em all, clean 'em, and put dialectric grease on
them.  Also, locate and clean and put it on other
connections, fuses, grounds, etc. and you should be fine.  I
wouldn't rewire a car unless it was a real antique with
cloth covered wire, or if there had been a fire that ruined
the wires.  I have a friend that restored a '53 Chevy
pickup, and he just left the wiring in place as it was
plastic covered, not cloth.  He doesn't have any problems
with it at all.
Don Scott
'62 MGA
'91 Miata BRG

>>> <derek@vandivere.net> 02/29/08 7:41 AM >>>

So, my mechanic just suggested my next winter project -
seems like the
wiring in my desmogged '78 B is getting pretty brittle and
could use
replacing.

I've seen a couple articles on doing a rewiring, but from a
practical
point of view, is the easiest way to go just to get a full
complete
replacement loom and just not bother with any connections
to the
desmogification bits that have been pulled from the car?

I'm now in the curious position of wanting it to rain so I
can take the B
out. Just had the brand new mohair top put on, and the
mechanic's telling
me to wait to put the top down until it's been rained on
and can stretch
out a bit. Problem is I keep it in a garage, so I need to
wait for a rainy
day to take the B out!

Thanks,
Derek