[Mgs] Beware of Moss

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Beware of Moss
From: "Jack Feldman" <qualitas.jack@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:51:43 -0500
Just got my Moss flier today. Barnum was right!

On page three there is an MGB Cruise Control Kit for $249.95. It looks
suspiciously like the Audiovox CCS100 featured in the *MGB Driver*, volume
18, number 1, pages 53 and 54. Mike Barnes of the St. Louis club wrote an
excellent article about how easy it is to install, and it is easy. I have
one. I'll bet someone has the article on their web site.

I had mine in my BGT before the article was published, and it is great for
long trips. When I put one in our C, my son complained. When we drove from
the Minneapolis meet to Portland, Oregon, He found out it wasn't such a bad
idea after all.

Oh, the point of this diatribe is that I got mine for $89.00 at Amazon.com.
They are also in the J.C. Whitney catalog for about $128.99 *What is there
about the Moss one that makes it worth $249?* The add says that it is
engineered especially for MG carburettors. The generic kit comes with enough
adapters so that it will fit almost any carb. Mike's article clearly shows
how to connect the control cable to an SU carb.

BTW, the kit doesn't show a vacuum chamber which is mentioned in the *MGB
Driver* article. Neither I, nor the person who showed me his installation
had to use one. The common knowledge is that a 4 cylinder car doesn't
generate enough vacuum for this kind of cruise control, but the Audiovox
seems to work fine without one.

Jack
1969 MGC with cruise control
1972 MGBGT with cruise control
1960 Austin Healey 3000 which may get one when the rest of it is sorted out.