[Mgs] Racing flicks

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Racing flicks
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 09:38:14 -0700
A friend called me up last night to tell me that the Turner Classic Movie
channel was showing racing films. I missed Grand Prix (it would probably
have lost its impact on my small screen), but caught most of The Green
Helmet, which I had never heard of, but which featured sports car racing
from the late 50s or early 60s (I'm guessing). I switched it on just as the
hero (William Travers) was crashing at Le Mans, then watched him testing at
Silverstone (in what I am guessing was a Lister-Jag). His car mysteriously
morphed into a birdcage Maserati for Sebring, where he partnered with Jack
Brabham (!), winning after his rival in a Corvette crashed and burned. The
big finale was the Mille Miglia (which I am thinking had already been
cancelled by then), with hair-raising in-car footage of what seemed to be
the actual course. It struck me as similar to driving the California Melee,
except balls-out (as opposed to a spirited cruise), and in truly fast
machinery, with crazed fans lining the route 10 deep -- in other words,
terrifying.

After that came To Please a Lady (terrible title), with Clark Gable as a
hard-charging, never-back-off Dale Earnhardt-type USAC racer. Great footage
of dirt track midget racing and classic Indy front-engine roadsters. The
finale at the Indy 500 had him going mano-a-mano with Mauri Rose in a
front-drive special (was that the Novi?). The romantic subplot with the
equally hard-nosed Barbara Stanwyck was unconvincing, but Gable looked right
at home in the cockpit and the paddock.

Great stuff...

--

Max Heim